To be or not to be ... a couch potato

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Forty Five Non-Stop

There is nothing worse than resistance exercises. Like the ones that you have to run a mile in the least time you can. Well, this is much worse. Yesterday we had the pleasure of doing the exercise of swimming through forty-five minutes without stopping. It is hell!

We all began warming up. I am really stiff. I cant even reach my toes! Swimmers should be elastic, I am totally the opposite. I still wonder what am I swimming. Well seven years, why not ten more. So back to the topic, we were about to start. As the trainer blew the whistle, and I threw myself into the pool, my arms almost broke apart. It was horrible, they were still cold and stiff. I started fast, to get ahead of the waves of the idiots who swim beside. The first 200m were fast and perfect, but then I started drowning. I started realizing that in just 2:00 minutes I could swim 200m, so I was missing about forty three more minutes! I started panicking, it had just started.

As I continued, my arms were all numb. I swear ed to myself that I will never enter in a 800m or a 1500 m race. This was torture. My arms were aching, and the sun was shining as bright as ever. I figured that I would still be swimming until night, so there was a long way to go.

I continued, not focused or then the time would pass even slower. I tried to think and analyse my day, singing songs in my head and doing anything but thinking that I was in the pool. I still had to pass more and more people, because I went faster, but they took my time. I swallowed their waves and I almost drowned. I was really angry, but I was reaching the point were I would be tires, but I was sliding in the water. It is a good situation.

Time was slower and slower, I already had forgotten what I was doing, but I never stopped. I just felt how my muscles would grow with each stroke. I tried to see the watch on the wall to see how much time there was left, but it was impossible.

Finally, the sound of joy. It ringed over my ears as a heroic sound. It passed through my brain as a sign. The whistle. It meant there were only five more minutes left. I started swimming harder and harder, I had to do as much laps as possible before it was over. Then, I made the calculation again. There were five minutes left. In 200m were done in about three minutes ( because I was really tires). It took five minutes to do 400m, so there was still more time. Even though, I continued.

my goggles were killing my eyes, my cap was squishing my head, making it hurt. The five minutes were an eternity. At last, when I was about to make a turn and continue, the second whistle was blown. I stopped. Suddenly all the frustration and tiredness were out. The whole forty five minutes went blank in my mind, I was just there at the wall. I finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment