To be or not to be ... a couch potato

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Blistered Fingers

Ignoring my blistered fingers of my bass playing, I continue torturing them until one of the several blisters in my fingers explodes, leaving a trail of blood through all the strings. It is not to be cynical, but music is rough. Who knew that you could even end up with bleeding fingers and aching arms.

Well, maybe music is not that harsh, but bass playing is! Those who play guitar are a bunch of wimps. They use a pick fir their perfect fingers, and their instrument is "small" and easy to carry. Instead, an electric bass is heavy and hard. The strings are so thick: blisters. Without mentioning it weighs like 1000 tons.

It also depends in the music and technique you are playing. For example, slapping the bass us so fun, but believe me, you need a strong arm to resist the whole song. Then, the popping which is equal yo more and more blisters. I usually continue playing, until my finger wears off. The other technique us the fingers which I like, but personally, it begins to get boring. Usually it is always the same rhythm, for example in rock. There is also the technique of using a pick. Personally, I think that it is for idiots. A real bass player should be in total connection with the instrument which means, blood and tears.

I'm just messing around, but the characteristic of a bass is the fingers. If they use a pick, it is like playing another guitar.

I love how Flea ( bass player of the Red Hot Chili Peppers) plays. He is so original, not mentioning that he us crazy. I still cant get how a man of forty seven years old is able to d0 this great performance. As he uses the different techniques of slapping and then changing it to fingers is incredible. The song Cant Stop is a great example, mentioning it is such a great and cool song to play.

No comments:

Post a Comment